Claudia And Her Team Of Highly Experienced Immigration Attorneys Will Fight For You

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Green Cards
  4.  » Cuban Adjustment Act

Miami-Based Legal Guidance For Cuban Adjustment Act Benefits

America is the land of opportunity, especially if you are coming from Cuba. A recent report from Politico shows that a record number of Cubans are migrating to the United States, as food shortages, energy shortages and poor health care continue to plague the Caribbean island.

While the opportunities on the other side can feel promising, navigating the U.S. immigration system can be difficult. However, if you are immigrating from Cuba, you may be able to seek additional support under the Cuban Adjustment Act. Our Miami-based lawyers at Canizares Law Group, LLC, can educate you on the Cuban Adjustment Act, determine if you qualify for its benefits and help you seek an adjustment of status. As attorneys who live and work in South Florida, we have helped countless Cuban migrants like you find a slice of the American dream in Miami and across the U.S.

A Brief History Of The Cuban Adjustment Act

The Cuban Adjustment Act allows Cuban immigrants to stay in the United States after living in the country for 366 days. After the law was enacted by President Lyndon B. Johnson in 1966, it gave Cuban immigrants unique advantages when entering the United States. For example, immigrants from Cuba did not need a family or employer sponsor to apply for a green card, while immigrants from other countries did. When President Bill Clinton added the wet foot dry foot policy to the law in 1995, those who could flee Cuba and set foot on U.S. soil could qualify for a green card.

However, things changed in 2017 when President Obama ended wet foot dry foot exemptions for Cuban migrants, meaning they now must enter the United States legally before applying for permanent resident status. The Act is still in effect, but removing key provisions has created additional challenges for Cuban migrants.

Just because things have changed doesn’t mean you or your Cuban loved ones can’t enter the United States or that you can’t obtain benefits. Cuban migrants can still access many of the same benefits and social programs, like instant employment authorizations, and food and housing support.

Our firm can help you discover if you qualify for the Cuban Adjustment Act. It allows you to maneuver all the obstacles to obtaining its benefits and permanent resident status in the United States. Call us today at 305-686-3187 to learn more about how we can help you. Se habla español.

Who Is Currently Eligible For The Cuban Adjustment Act?

You may qualify for Cuban Adjustment Act benefits if you:

  • Are a Cuban native.
  • Correctly completed Form I-485.
  • Completed your Form I-485 while on U.S. soil.
  • Have lived in the United States for at least one year.
  • Legally entered the United States after Jan. 1, 1959.
  • Can demonstrate to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) that giving you permanent resident status is within their best interests.

Our Miami-based immigration attorneys can help guide you through this process. Reach out to us today if you have any additional questions.

How Do You Apply For Cuban Adjustment Act Benefits?

To do so, you need:

  • Your Form I-485 paperwork.
  • Your passport (with two passport-like photos of yourself).
  • Your birth certificate.
  • Evidence demonstrating that you are a Cuban native.
  • Proof that you’ve lived in the United States for at least 365 days before completing your I-485 documents.
  • S. arrival and departure documentation from the United States Customs and Border Protection (USCPB).

These are only some of the basic things you need to apply. Depending on your circumstances, you may need other documents. We can determine what those documents are and help you obtain them.

We Can Educate And Guide You Through The U.S. Immigration Process

Our attorneys understand the value of teaching you about the complex immigration process and how you can navigate it, especially for Cuban migrants like you, who are having to keep up with abrupt changes in immigration policy.

Schedule your initial consultation today by calling 305-686-3187 or completing our online contact form. Se habla español.